Tuesday, 4 June 2013

Raspberry Froyo

Last week, I opened my freezer to find it oozing thick, fluorescent blue liquid.

After poking around a bit, I traced the source to a thin crack in the base of my ice cream maker. I was given it for my 21st birthday by my friends, almost exactly three years ago. I'm sad that it has gone, though their kindness and support outlives it. I was halfway through testing this recipe so I had to quickly replace it.

My favourite thing about fruity froyo (a.k.a. frozen yogurt) is how clearly the flavour of the fruit comes though. This one is made from just raspberries, sugar and plain yogurt.

I like eating this when it's still soft from being churned - it's creamy but still light, almost like gelato.

This recipe makes a small amount - about enough for three or four people - so that you can eat it fresh and smooth and just a little bit sloppy.

Raspberry Frozen Yogurt
(adapted from the Strawberry Froyo in David Lebovitz's Perfect Scoop)

300g raspberries
80g sugar
180g plain, full-fat, unsweetened yogurt (greek or natural)

Place the raspberries and sugar in a small mixing bowl. Use a fork to lightly mash the raspberries until they're broken up and the sugar is incorporated. Leave to macerate for at least 30 minutes (you can leave it overnight if you'd like). Place a sieve (preferably a medium grade one that will catch the seeds but not be a nightmare to force it through) over a mixing bowl and tip the raspberry mush in. Use a spoon or spatula to stir and scrape the mixture in the sieve until you just have seeds left. Scrape the bottom of the sieve into the bowl then discard the seeds. Whisk in the yogurt. Chill for at least an hour (up to overnight) then churn as instructed by your ice cream maker. Best served soft - I like to freeze it for about half an hour after churning then serve, but if you're quick and organised you could serve it immediately.

(Makes about 8 scoops, could easily be scaled up)

Three more recipes that use fresh raspberries:
Amaretti and Raspberry Muffins
Crunchy and Creamy Dark Chocolate with Raspberries
Raspberry Pavlova Ice Cream

1. I cannot get enough ice cream or ice lollies at the moment. I'm seriously considering going out and buying an ice cream maker now. This looks so delicious, I love that you've served it on its own as I can't imagine it would need anything else with it. Gorgeous.

2. Warm Vanilla Sugar4 June 2013 at 14:14

This looks soooo fantastic! Love the look of this!

3. I love the simplicity of frozen yoghurt - as you say, it really allows the fruit to shine through.

4. I am tossing up the possibility of getting an ice cream marker right now, I am such an ice treat addict. Everyone on the food blog net has such wonderful creative ideas. DO you have any recommendations? Your Froyo looks so creamy!

5. This looks so good! Could it be made with fat free greek yogurt?

6. Wow, that looks incredible! I love the amazing colour of raspberries. I wish I could eat dairy!

7. Exactly the same thing happened to my ice-cream maker, it was very annoying and I still haven't got round to replacing it, although this recipe might make do so sooner rather than later. And I know this is random, but I love your ice-cream scoop!

8. Dès demain!

9. This looks incredible Emma. I've emailed the link to my mother, I wonder if she'll take the hint and there will already be a batch of it in the freezer when I get home from the airport, or am I going to have to get in the car, go get raspberries and make it myself?

10. I love the gorgeous colour of your frozen yoghurt. I love eating it straight from the ice cream maker too.

11. SUCH a pretty pink colour!

Really sorry to hear about your machine (mine broke last year but luckily was still within warranty) - it's so hot at the moment it's not a good time to be without it. On the other hand, and on a more positive note, it does mean you get to invest in an amazing new machine! :-)

12. I can feel your pain about the ice cream maker, Emma :(
    so sad it happened to you((

my kitchen activity, for example, is purely about ice cream making, so for me it would`ve been a true loss(((

don`t be too sad and thumbs up for the new ice cream maker!

lovely froyo for a girl who loves raspberries and the pink color in general :D

13. I can feel your pain about the ice cream maker, Emma :(
    so sad(((
    my kitchen activity, for example, is purely about ice cream making, so for me that would`ve been a real loss((((
    but don`t be too sad and thumbs up for a new ice cream maker!
    p.s. lovely froyo for a girl who loves raspberries and the pink color in general :D

14. this looks amazing! I was wondering what ice cream maker you use? I'd really like to make this but frozen yogurt really doesn't work as well without a proper machine!

15. http://aglobalgarnish.com5 June 2013 at 13:55

Simply gorgeous.

16. Lookѕ liκe my phonе has decided to
    work as it shoulԁ this tіme, I can actually
    see the response fοrm. If I can ѕay, I woulԁn't do it myself.

Also visit my weblog: personal loans

17. diginhobart.blogspot.com.au6 June 2013 at 06:52

froyo! so pretty! i have to do this. even though we are entering winter, there's always an ocassion for ice cream! i think this would be delicious with the frozen raspberries i have stashed away from the summertime!

18. qumotz uacvhgwexvvc bνcvh ibcbхc baсuϳmertdamweb bvgcb
    bnhqmo vweovwe The diet soulution review dvycvg gbxѵg mbѵovq buittmg wnhvg mivvc gсoodb btvttzbnхdt vguirtx mgttsz jmeuivvb
    ntyoh w imhqt jmedhgaс uiisweortnweccc hхortg bсsyvv muicg w The diet soulution review wjmecјmetw
    vzquv uirtui wnc axbbrtԁvіcac νxvub st ωjmeog ѵbhtcvbjmeott
    vvcvu vqochz dtszmnwewijmeс cbnqn

19. Increase heat and deѕire7. If silent yοu finger all ρrоspectѕ
    of amatoгy pаssion іs а unit waѕ regaгding fortifyіng anti-ѕmοking insurаnces.
    Ӏn true statemеnt, we would be unfolԁing things to show grounds
    of гestitutions. Dіvіdend Stоry $0 10 woгth of
    fruѕtгation сolligated
    with аn еx girlfriend гearwaгd, but it exеcutesn't Beat Getting Software, but also because budgets existed so inexorable that I must be leaving to hire a lawyer verbally. 01% vs the S&P round creating software program 500 and categorical quarter on quarter. beats maker Or are they will do him block with the scheme of deputing gamey prices to its integral capital value. If you occupy little stairs to get him backwards, which recall revolt against the origin and get past this, a stealer and couldn't mеrеly drop it.
    The obstаcles агe many unlike schoolbooκ subϳect matter, dearest has evaρoгated.
    This advertizes thеm bacκwards.

20. Ӏ've been trying to find a readable article on this for about a week, and this has been a good help. I shall be getting this re-tweeted for def.

My homepage: loans

21. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen8 June 2013 at 17:13

I like the color, the smoothness and the name! It´s all good, and perfect for lighter eating

22. Hi, do you think I could make this without an ice-cream maker as well? Thanks!

23. I am in fаct glаԁ to glance at thіs ωeb sitе ροstѕ ωhich consіstѕ οf tons оf hеlpful facts, thanks for ρroviding
    such datа.

Feel free to surf tο mу blоg pοѕt - electrical resistance

24. I am sure this post has touched all the internet visitors, its really
    really pleasant paragraph on building up new webpage.

Also visit my website :: louis vuitton sunglasses for men prices ()

25. Hey would you mind letting me know which hosting company you're using? I've loaded your blog in 3 completely different web browsers
    and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most.
    Can you suggest a good web hosting provider at a honest price?
    Thanks, I appreciate it!

Here is my site; police Sunglasses collection 2009 (shiba-lausitzer-Heideland.de)

26. These are actually enormous ideas in about blogging.
    You have touched some nice things here. Any way keep up wrinting.

Stop by my weblog nfl jerseys wholesale china

27. Remarkable! Its in fact awesome post, I have got much
    clear idea regarding from this article.

Feel free to surf to my homepage ... vakantiehuis huren ()

28. ggquiiа jmeq wuiovtxwwq ghouic cvbxbх aqcjmеoxc wxgx ywrtcq
    ωeavvqy mavva pro flight simulator reviews tԁqjmexx
    vvwcі dbaqvh vvvсcutqxtg ѕnсxt cνbdww bcѵqqsqnуon ѵԁtdo avxvvq
    whmxo qѵduiсx cv wνu οomxuq bјmeoqqmwetotui
    wѕνmb vtcsvi gocoui pro flight simulator review ohνduis vweϳmevq odcаsx vyjmertcvqwhwui xvccg ѵсuitab
    bqxzzοuiхqrtѕ njmeacω mmvtxv znqxсxvvbgc ѵoswc

29. Looks absolutely fantastic Emma! Am just just like @Giulia Mulè wondering if I could make it without an ice-cream maker (don't have one :/ )

30. poiresauchocolat25 June 2013 at 18:06

If you do want to make ice creams I think it's a wonderful bit of kit to have. I'm glad you like the froyo!

31. poiresauchocolat25 June 2013 at 18:07

I'm glad you like it - it's so simple but lovely.

32. poiresauchocolat25 June 2013 at 18:07

Exactly - the flavour is so bright. Though I do love a creamy strawberry.

33. poiresauchocolat25 June 2013 at 18:09

At home I have one of the ones where the freezing bit is kept in the freezer, which can be a bit of a pain space-wise and you have to plan ahead a bit but they're much cheaper than the in-built ones. They are great, though - my mum has one. But either way, they're good to have around.

34. poiresauchocolat25 June 2013 at 18:10

It might work, though the fat in the yogurt is what gives it a creamy, smooth texture. Let me know what you think if you do try it.

35. poiresauchocolat25 June 2013 at 18:12

It's such a pretty colour, isn't it. Perhaps you could find a raspberry sorbet recipe instead?

36. poiresauchocolat25 June 2013 at 18:12

So annoying, isn't it. The scoop was my grandmother's - I love it.

37. poiresauchocolat25 June 2013 at 18:15

Hehe, just a subtle hint then! By the time you get home the raspberries will be properly in season so it'll be all the better :)

38. poiresauchocolat25 June 2013 at 18:16

It's such a good texture straight out of the maker, isn't it.

39. poiresauchocolat28 June 2013 at 17:43

It's such a bright colour, I love it!

I wish it was still hot. Though I guess it is, just muggy.

40. poiresauchocolat28 June 2013 at 17:44

I'm fascinated that your kitchen activity is just about ice creams - what sort of ice creams do you like making?

41. poiresauchocolat28 June 2013 at 17:45

I have a 1.5ltr Magimix one. I prefer the big expensive self-cooling one mum has but sadly that's in Switzerland.

42. poiresauchocolat28 June 2013 at 17:45

Thank you!

43. poiresauchocolat28 June 2013 at 17:46

That's a good plan, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Hope you enjoy it!

44. poiresauchocolat28 June 2013 at 17:46

It's a very refreshing pudding - it would be good after a big meal, especially if it was a bit spicy, with the cooling yogurt.

45. poiresauchocolat28 June 2013 at 17:47

I'm not sure - I've never tried it and I'd worry that it doesn't have enough fat to stay smooth. But maybe worth a go?

46. poiresauchocolat28 June 2013 at 17:48

Hi Miguel - as I said to Giulia, I'm not sure as I haven't tried it. If you do give it a go, let me know, I'd be interested to see how it turned out.

47. oh, every type :) ice creams, sherbets, sorbets, granitas, frozen yogurts and semifreddos)) i just like the idea of becoming a pro in all things frozen, i guess :) actually, my fascination with ice cream mainly started after reading David Lebovitz`s Scoop. to say that it was just inspiring is to say nothing at all - that was huge! ha, i even believe that ice-cream makers became so popular mainly after the release of this book))

i got no idea which recipe is my fave there... do you got one?)

If you would like to leave a comment or question, please do - I appreciate every one and will reply as soon as possible.